The funny thing about Shanghai is that you never feel very far away from home. The entre time I've been here, I've found myself continually bombarded by things I'd rather not experience, like Mariah Carey and Celine Dion blasting in my ear off Tony's c.d. in the BSK van. Even on th way to Zhu Jia Jiao, Ryan Seacrest made an appearance on the local radiostation with his radio show... I coldn't help but wonder if he even realizes he's being broadcast in China! I have to admit though, I'm finding the transition to living here a lot easier because of the Westernization that at the same time makes me sad everything here is going West. Everywhere I look, there's North American and European models staring back at me from billboards, alomst every sign is in English and the bus and subway annoncements are also broadcast in English. I guess I was just waiting for a true Asian experience I'm never going to get because this is the 'true Shanghai.'

We've discovered a lovely store in our beloved Rainbow City Lifestyle mall nextdoor called E-Mart. E-Mart is China's answrer to Costco and Walmart, all in one. I have to say, it makes life here so easy, because even the littlest things that I take for granted are available at the snap of a finger. Convernience, comforting and close to home, probably not a lot much more I could ask for!

We also took a really quick stroll down Nanjin Road East last night. It was very rainy and freezing cold, so we didn't stay long. Basically, Nanjing is Shanghai's answer to NYC's Times Square, complete with giant light up buildings and a coke bottle (we didn't make it far enough down to see it).

I suppose all of these things have made Nova Scotia feel as though it's right next door, which has helped. But I can't help but feel as though the city is experiencing a great loss by idolizing North America. It's too bad.
No comments:
Post a Comment